“Stay focused, go after your dreams and keep moving toward your goals.” LL Cool J
How focused are you on your dreams in the summertime? Are those goals clear in front of you or are you highly distracted by all the other things you hope to pack into the summer, “while the weather is nice.” You don’t have to make summertime an either/or time and put your dreams and goals on hold. It can be a time of both enjoying the summer and making progress on your goals. In this blog, I will share with you three ways I’ve found to stay focused and keep moving forward while still enjoying my summer.
I. You Know What’s Important to Focus Upon to Accomplish in Your Week
- First, this focus is assuming you know your vision for the summer. If not, go back and read my summertime vision blog so you know what you hope to accomplish for the summer. Then, at the start of each week, you do have to sit down and focus on the week ahead and pre-decide what’s important. Pre-deciding is a concept I learned from Kathi Lipp and Cheri Gregory’s book, Overwhelmed. By pre-deciding what is most important to accomplish in your week, you decide ahead of time, what you will do and can put it in your schedule first. It takes so much last minute decision-making off your shoulders.
- Answer the question, “What one activity can I do that will move my goal forward the easiest?” then, schedule it in your calendar. If clarity is difficult for you, this may be where a vision board and my coaching could help guide you to help you discover the possibilities open to you and move you forward faster.
II. You Know Who’s Important In Your Week
- In addition to what is important to put in you week, you need to decide who is important in your week. Who are the people you need to interact with this week? Clients, friends, family, community members? Get them on your calendar as well as to when you will work at connecting with them.
- Schedule in self-care time for yourself as well. You are one of the most important people in your week. If “mama’s not happy, no one’s happy.”
III.You Know How You Want to Move Forward in Your Week
- Now comes the tricky part. How will you accomplish the what and the how and keep your focus?
- Will you look at your calendar each day? Will you write yourself sticky notes? What about reminders on your phone?
- What will it take to keep you focused on what you have predecided?
- Who else may need to be involved in completing the how of moving forward?
In the summertime, especially, it is easy to get distracted by all the comings and goings of family and friends, extra activities to do outside and things you want to do to enjoy the season. By being clear and predeciding on what’s important, who’s important and how you want to move forward you can stay focused. You can still enjoy your summer, too. Your calendar can be your best friend. If you find this concept challenging, let me know. I’d love to support you. We can do a free session and I can share some resources with you. I can’t wait to hear how you stay focused and move forward as well as have fun. Email me, post on Nancyboothcoaching Facebook or comment below. Let’s encourage one another to stay focused, move forward and have fun.
Nancy Booth is a certified life coach and certified brain-based coach. She loves creating safe spaces for women going through life’s transitions to discover and support their visions for health and well-being in an overwhelming world.. She writes about taming the overwhelm. looking for ways to motivate, energize and inspire you to find that new vision! You can sign up to receive her weekly blog or contact her to find out ways you can begin to shed overwhelm. It’s time to explore possibilities of a new vision to include stronger relationships, better life pacing and gain hope and peace.